[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WisconsinFoosball.com • View topic - 2007 Fall Leagues

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:01 pm 

First of all, I cant play leagues in any format. With a little daughter at home and wife working late nights and with going to school the other nights, I just don't have time for foos.

With that said,
The basis of leagues (IMHO) is to get time on the table in both positions and develop people. The draw may work if you want to simulate a tournament but the lower 80% of the people in the league don't go to tourneys (Oldman the exception). Draws for lower level players do not make you a better player as much as leagues do. I always thought I got better playing pickup games after going 2 and out than in the draw. I don't understand why Milwaukee has to do leagues different from everyone else. There will never be a format that fits everyones needs.

The goals of milwaukee foosball need to defined. Once the goals are defined then a format will become apparent.

If the format changes to a draw I see alot of people dropping foosball as already stated in this thread.

I still love foosball and will be around and availible for subbing, Fridays and weekends are the best for me now.

Parker

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:03 pm 

Well I guess it is time to repost. Eric Weishaar has said he can run leagues as it was in the past, thank you Eric for stepping in and taking over. I would have continued to do so, but I have a class Tuesday and Thursday nights that prevent me from being able to run the league. So please contact Eric about leagues and leave a post if you read the article.

I do have a few things that do need to be made clear,...

1. please look at my original post date, then please look at the following post as to who was interested in leagues and what date they posted. From my perspective it appeared as if the members of the lower league had no interest in playing this year with an exception or two.

2. I keep in contact with the upper league members because we still play on a regular basis, effectively never stopping our group play, so I asked them what they thought might work out. This idea came from one of those players and it sounded like a good idea, and no one from the upper league objected. So I posted the idea on the website.

3. Look at the dates again, two, count them, two people posted in reasonable amount of time that they were not interested in the new league format. That is when I offered to have someone else run the league using the old format, and no one stepped up. (Until Eric called.)

4. With regards to Milwaukee and leagues, I think we do a pretty good job at having our league meet our members needs. the problem is that there are a lot of needs out there. one big league... people don't like loosing all the time and the better players often times don't get challenged. Two leagues... people don't get to play better players and really improve their play and there is less chance to get to hangout together. Draw league... (Um this is done in other cities by the way, not just Milwaukee), you don't get to play as many games and might be out in two.

Ultimately, I think that if you read a post you should respond to it in someway. Had I heard all of this earlier, and someone would have stepped up quicker then I think this would already be taken care of. (Again, thank you Eric)

Whew, now let the responses to this post commence. By the way, have fun at leagues this year, I will stop by whenever I can for some pick-up games and for the occasional draw. I will continue posting for Friday night draws for those interested. I also will be attending various tournaments and draws for those interested.

The old Oldman

Oldman

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:51 pm 

Hey all,

As Sean said I will be running the Fall Leagues this year due to Seans committments to school. Personally I think that he is full of crap and is actually moonlighting as a Chris Farley look alike stripper at the ladies night at Silk. I sense a field trip!

Anyway, I need to get a sense of interest in playing and who is in for a head count. I cannot commit to a Friday night draw but I will always be available for Tuesday nights. I'd like to get this up and running as fast as possible so if you are reading this and are interested in playing (this means any one of any skill level) in a Tuesday night league, PLEASE POST.

If you know someone who doesn't check the board, call them and either have them email me or post for them. I will be picking up all the league stuff and phone numbers from Sean this week and will be calling people to get committments. Right now I have (2) for sure committments from Bob K and his friend. I'd like to see like 15- 20 players.

I will work on the formatt which will probably be similiar or the same as last year and a schedule. I will also be getting a stat sheet going to post here for updates during leagues.

We will need to decide on a home bar for all. I really don't care if we use Riely's again or if someone has a better suggestion but we need to find it fast. Once I have a head count and have a chance to get everything orgainzed I will let everyone know what's going on and we'll get on it. For now I am thinking an every other Tuesday League match night and then a draw on the off weeks with make ups going on the off nights as well.

Please post or email me if you are in, this means anyone from the Pro or Amatuer league, so we can get going. Here is my email.

skiinmf@aol.com

Thanks all,

Eric

Offline Profile  

Post subject: yo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:38 am 

Hey dudes and Sean...

If you still have last year's league list I'd send out an email to everyone informing them of this thread on this site. I bet a lot of people haven't thought about foos in a while and that might remind people to check out what's being discussed.

Personally, I'll probably be able to attend the Friday night draw from time to time, but Tuesday's for me are pretty difficult this year - hopefully I can be a sub now and again if needed.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:18 pm 

Sean,

I didn't mean to make you think that your way was wrong or bad, it just didn't work for me.

I really appreciate what you had done in the last couple of years and I had a great time playing. You have done alot of work to get the league to where it is(was) and I for one thank you.

That being said I am looking forward to the rein of Eric the Mad.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:35 pm 

John and I are both in. I like J Riley's because they have Jameson, food and a bunch of tables. I wish they had more ladies though. At least the bartender is fun to look at.

In other news, John's account was randomly deleted from the forums and he believes this is a conspiracy by Weishaar to stop us from challenging him to a game for shots. Something about Weishaar being afraid to lose...I'm not sure.

Seriously though, I am very excited this is happening. Thank you everyone!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:59 am 

Hodge,

Glad to hear you are in! You tell John that if he wishes to challenge me to a game for shots, he better bring the Pepto Bismo because he will be drinking cement mixers aaaalllllll night.

Who else is in? I will be making phone calls and emails this week to get a head count. After that I am thinking of having a meeting at Reily's to discuss how things will work and clean and fix up the tables. Any input from people would be great, just email me

skiinmf@aol.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:09 pm 

Larry and I would most likely be in for a Tues night league at Rileys.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:30 pm 

Thanks Bob I'll count you guys in

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:45 am 

i think i would like to play as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:40 pm 

Someone should call Craig and Gonzo and make sure they know what's going on. Plato and Parker, I am sad you will not be around this year.

I also put up a random post on craiglist pointing to this thread to try and get some more interested.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:06 am 

Thanks Hodge,

Sean emailed me the list of people and phone numbers (among other things). I will be calling people tomorrow and over the weekend to get a head count. I'm thinking either next week or the following week having a kickoff at Riely's to get everyone up to speed on whats happening, get the schedule handed out, clean up the tables and just get organized in general. Right now I am thinking a 1 on 1 off Tuesday schedule with breaks for the holidays.

Like I said I will be making phone calls over the next few days and getting things ready. Right now I am shooting for a Tuesday the 23rd kick off with matches starting the following week which would be Oct 30th

Please feel free to PM, Email or post with questions or committments.

Eric
Skiinmf@aol.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:38 am 

I cant commit to leagues but I am up for being a sub.
Parker

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:50 am 

I am definitely interested in a fall leagues. I can do a tues night, and the occaisional friday draw if we are going to do it that way as well.

Just so that I, and any one else, is not even more confused, we are meeting on tues the 23rd at J Riley's?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:49 pm 

if anyone is coming to reilly's tommorow (10/23) from downtown/eastside I would much appreciate a ride. My car will be in the shop. Please email me, Foosed@g m a i l . c o m, I would be super grateful (beers can be bought). If I end up not being able to show, please don't forget me for leagues

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Moderators: bryanlouis, the bert Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next