[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
WisconsinFoosball.com • View topic - Handicap system

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Handicap system
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:41 am 

How does the handicap system work? I think we need to take a look at it. Last night, our record was 3 out of 9, and every team we played we had to spot points. To me this makes no sense when we have a 33% winning average and have to spot a team 2 points. I know you said you do it off of 1st - 4th team is 0, and then down the line, but if you look at the big picture this is not going to work. It should be off of winning percentages. It is going to be impossible to have a fair shot if it is done this way. Any suggestions from Appleton, Milwaukee, etc. on how you do this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 am 

Thats how we had it based off last league and nobody had a problem with it. We can't change it now because matches were played with the handicap.

The first couple weeks of having the handicap system in place will be spotty because not alot of games were played. Just as it did last year it will even out more fair.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:18 am 

Bryan,

Can you post the handicap system you are using?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Handicap
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:26 am 

That is exactly my point on why it should be off of percentages, that way if games are missed you still have a somewhat accurate system. If you won 50% of the games and you miss the next week, you will still be at 50%. You could even do something as simple as 100-75 is 0, 74-50 is 1, 49-25 is 2, 24-0 is 3. This way when you have a bye, or miss a game it is still fair. I just don't understand when you win 3 out of 9 games and have to spot teams 2 points. To me, I would have rather lost one more so I would have been put in a different bracket. Do you get what I am saying? I am not trying to be difficult, you saying no one else had a problem with it, I am just trying to make it more fair.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:49 am 

Right now we have it based off ranking, and then handicaps are the following:

1-3rd place: 0 points
4/5: 1 point
6/7: 2 points
8/9: 3 points
10: 4 points
11: 5 points

This is currently the handicap system going forward into Week 4. Last night was everything on the fly, we tried to make the right adjustments so we wouldn't have to hold up the league and so everyone could continue playing.

We're open for discussion on this topic, whatever people think is most fair.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:57 am 

Amy,

I think they determine who is in first, second, ect. by winning pct. not games won. Thus, it does follow your suggestion?

Just instead of say...88% winning percentage gets no handicap. It is the first place team has a 88% winning percentage, thus is in 1st place, and gets no handicap.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 pm 

Jay is correct, handicaps are based on ranking. Ranking is based on your winning percentage of the games you have played.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:45 pm 

I agree on the fact that things can get a little iffy when someone picks what players should be scored at. We kind of made a master sheet that has all the players that usually play in our draw with their rank by the players name. We use the same sheet every time we handicap it. It makes it a little easier for us with the way our league is set up A league/B league. Alot of our A league players have USTSA points, so that can be used for reference.

Our regular A league is not handicapped.

In Milwaukee's B league they use a 1-5 handicap (5 being the highest skill)
for each player and play to 7 points.
Add both players on a team, say a 5 and 3, then divide by two for your doubles matches. (4) So if you were playing a team that was a 4 and a 2, with an averaged score
of 3 you would be giving up 1 point per match.
Singles matches would give up the difference in points of your handicap number vs your opponent .

I guess everyone uses a different system. The system that you guys are using looks good. I wouldnt change it, especially if its what you have been using for awhile. Plus if you change it you know that someone else will not like the new way.

-Erik

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Handicap
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:04 pm 

That makes more sense. From what I understood last night is was by games, not percentages. Thanks!

Offline Profile